Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Broken Walls
















I moved to Jersey City little more than a year ago now. When I first came here, I noticed quite a bit of graffiti, but it was different from small town North Carolina, or even Elizabeth, NJ which is mere miles away.

Just looking at this one photograph, the craftsmanship is evident. I wish I could read it. A friend of mine has told me she could read it when she was a teenager, but hasn't tried in such a long time that she has lost the gift.















This particular piece is from a wall that separates Hoboken and Jersey City. I took this just last summer. During this time I've seen a large temporary fence has erected around the area. The wall is also slowly being demolished. While I was there I took this shot through the fence, but I guess I could have stood on my truck.





























While a little more on the crude side of the things in the surrounding area, I love this. This quirky man who is jutting out from "JAE" and all the interestingness going on around him is just pleasing to me.















There was a pile of bricks I could stand on this time. Both of the previous shots were taken through this fence.











 



I trespassed. Its fun being mischievous sometimes. A man popped up and yelled at me, telling me I couldn't take pictures. He laughed and said go ahead--but to be honest he scared the crap out of me. Like I said before I always have a soundtrack for the things I do. This time in life makes me think about a song I came across recently. Its called 7/4 Shoreline, by Broken Social Scene. From what I gather it is one of their more popular songs. Its fun sort of whispery sound, with a nice bass-line. Check out the video below.


0 comments: