Thursday, June 11, 2009

Music Alert

Another artist friend of mine recently turned me on to a group called MGMT, who're hailed from Brooklyn. I mentioned these guys in my last post. They kinda remind me of the Beegees vocals combined with the melancholy lyrics of Nico and the background music from Gil Mantera's Party Dream. Its rare I can listen to something that can me happy, contemplative, and a little sad at the same time. Their album Oracular Spectacular, is a bit of an emotional adventure, but its a great listen. Good for walking around, driving around Harlem, or a good party with close friends and the booze of your choice. Enjoy one of my favorite tracks below: Electric Feel.



This leads me to my next music topic. For all you Apple users, you know iTunes is in a bid to crush all internet music sources in sales and creativity. For example, they now have this integrated program called Genius, which suggests music you may enjoy--sort of like Pandora, but, I digress. Through said program, I discovered one of New York City's premier sounds: Vampire Weekend. This is the first time I've heard an album that could be my life soundtrack since The Royal Tenenbaum soundtrack--and that was just a conglomeration of music I enjoyed, not a band or single artist.
Vampire Weekend's sound is a combination of Belle and Sebastian's light hearted music, which is sometimes reminiscent of 60s beach music. Now imagine that, with a side of gritty punk lyrics, guitar riffs, and rich, sweeping classically orchstrated derived fillers; although, the lyrics, raw as they are, are sung delicately. Interestingly enough the message translates easily. Notable tracks are: Oxford Comma, M79, and Walcott. Enjoy the music and videos below, from their self-titled EP, Vampire Weekend.




Enjoy!

0 comments: